June 8, 2009
Training sessions set for new Homewood Museum docents
Interested in history, architecture or decorative arts? Become a tour guide at the university’s Homewood Museum, a National Historic Landmark. Homewood was built in 1801 as the summer home of Charles Carroll Jr. and remains one of the finest examples of Federal era architecture.
Docent training classes will be held at the museum from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m. on successive Tuesdays and Thursdays, Aug. 11, 13, 18 and 20. Volunteers who successfully complete the training will be expected to commit to working a minimum of four hours per month.
Training includes lectures and readings on Baltimore in the Federal era, Carroll family history and Federal-style architecture and decorative arts. Guides will also learn about museum practices and will be taught techniques for presenting the house to visitors.
Homewood’s volunteers have opportunities for additional training and are invited to social events, openings, lectures and tours of other historic sites.
To reserve a space in the upcoming training sessions or for additional information, contact Judith Proffitt at Homewood Museum at 410-516-5589 or firstname.lastname@example.org.