December 6, 2010
Homewood Museum to offer docent training in January
Interested in history, architecture or decorative arts? Become a tour guide at the university’s Homewood Museum, which is a National Historic Landmark. Homewood was built in 1801 as the summer home of Charles Carroll Jr. and remains one of the finest examples of Federal-era architecture.
Docent training classes will be held at the museum on three successive Saturdays in January: from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Jan. 15, and from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. on Jan. 22 and 29. Volunteers who successfully complete the training will be expected to commit to working a minimum of four hours a month.
Training, provided by the museum staff, will include lectures and readings on Baltimore in the Federal era, Carroll family history and Federal-style architecture and decorative arts. New guides also will learn about museum practices and will be taught techniques for presenting the house to visitors.
To request a volunteer application and reserve a space in the upcoming training sessions, or for additional information, call Judith Proffitt at Homewood Museum, 410-516-5589, or e-mail email@example.com.
Homewood’s volunteers have opportunities for additional training and are invited to social events, openings, lectures and tours of other historic sites.