May 7, 2012
Maryland Hall is sporting new threads.
The original Engineering building on the Homewood campus is now adorned with banners marking the centennial of Johns Hopkins Engineering. In 1912, the Maryland State Legislature appropriated $600,000 “to establish a school or department of applied science and advanced technology” at Johns Hopkins, and at a cost of $285,500 (or $.21 per square foot), Maryland Hall was constructed. At the time of its completion, it housed the departments of Mechanical, Civil and Electrical Engineering and included a machinery hall, mechanics shop, labs, auditorium, library and classrooms—the entire School of Engineering.