June 11, 2012
Homewood Museum to offer docent training in July
Interested in history, architecture or decorative arts? Become a tour guide at the university’s Homewood Museum, a National Historic Landmark. Homewood was built in 1801 as the summer home of Charles Carroll Jr. and remains one of the finest examples of Federal-era architecture.
Docent training classes will be held at the museum from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. on July 17, 19, 24, 26 and 31. Volunteers who successfully complete the training will be expected to commit to working a minimum of four hours a month. Training will include lectures and readings on Baltimore in the Federal era, Carroll family history and Federal-style architecture and decorative arts. New guides also will learn about museum practices and be taught techniques for presenting the house to visitors.
To request an application and reserve a space in the training sessions, or for additional information, call Abi Knipscher at 410-516-5589 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Homewood volunteers are invited to social events, openings, lectures and tours of other historic sites.